Presentations and workshops
Course: SARS-CoV-2 Data Analysis and Monitoring with Galaxy, August 2021
Galaxy Community Conference, July 2021, online
- Scientific Program Committee member.
- Workshop: Genome Assembly - lecture and hands-on tutorial. Anna Syme, Simon Gladman, July, 2021. Session link here. Tutorial link here.
- Poster: Driving workforce transition in Australian life science research. Anna Syme, Jeff Christiansen, Nigel Ward, Simon Gladman, Catherine Bromhead, Igor Makunin, Mike Thang, Gareth Price, Andrew Lonie, July, 2021. Published in f100research here.
Melbourne Bioinformatics, Plant Genomics Workshop, April 2021
Course: Plant transcriptome analysis using Galaxy, April 2021
Melbourne Bioinformatics Group Meeting, Presentation, March 2021
Galaxy Training Network Smörgåsbord: A Global Galaxy Course, February 2021, online
Webinar: Plant genomics, Australian BioCommons, December 2020
Australian Bioinformatics and Computational Biology Society Conference, 2020, November, online
- Talk: Co-author: Best practices for bioinformatics command-line software with Bionitio. Bernard Pope (speaker), Peter Georgeson, Anna Syme, Jessica Chung, Michael Milton, Harriet Dashnow, Andrew Lonsdale, Clare Sloggett, David Powell. November 24, 2020. Session link here.
Australian BioCommons, BYOD project presentation, November, 2020
Bioinformatics Community Conference, July 2020, online
- Includes the Galaxy Community Conference (GCC) and Bioinformatics Open Source Conference (BOSC)
- Scientific Program Committee member.
- Workshop: Co-presenter: Bionitio - building better bioinformatics tools with batteries included, sessions 1 and 2. Anna Syme, Bernie Pope, July 18, 2020. Slides at https://tinyurl.com/bionitio-july-2020-slides
- Talk: Co-author: Bionitio. Bernard Pope (speaker), Peter Georgeson, Anna Syme, Jessica Chung, Michael Milton, Harriet Dashnow, Andrew Lonsdale, Clare Sloggett, July 19, 2020. Session link here.
BioPlatforms Australia, May 2020, Facilities Meeting
Galaxy Community Conference July 2019, Freiburg, Germany
- Workshop: Co-presenter: Train the Galaxy Trainer. Saskia Hiltemann, Helena Rasche, Simon Gladman, Bérénice Batut, Anna Syme. July 3, 2019. Workshop overview: https://gcc2019.sched.com/event/MDTV/train-the-galaxy-trainer. Introduction to the Galaxy Training Network; Workshop organization; Training Infrastructure as a Service (TIaaS); Link to slides: Hybrid Training
- Workshop: Co-presenter: Assembly and annotation of bacterial genomes. Delphine Lariviere, Anna Syme. July 4, 2019. Link to program: https://tinyurl.com/assemblyworkshop-GCC2019.
- Talk: Co-author: Galaxy Australia – inside the national vision of a data commons. Gareth Price, Derek Benson, Simon Gladman, Igor Makunin, Anna Syme, Grahame Bowland, Helen van de Pol, Christina Hall, Nuwan Goonasekera, Nigel Ward, Jeffrey H Christiansen, Andrew Lonie. July 2. Session link : https://gcc2019.sched.com/
- Session Chair: Transcriptomics and Genomics. July 3. Session link : https://gcc2019.sched.com/.
Australasian Genomic Technologies Association (AGTA) Conference, Melbourne, October 2019
Australian Bioinformatics and Computational Biology Society (ABACBS) Conference, November 2018, Melbourne, Australia
Galaxy Australia: National Bioinformatics Training, 2018
- Workshop: Developer and Co-presenter: Facilitator Training for Hybrid Training. Melbourne, 26-27 July. Link to program: https://tinyurl.com/galaxy-july-2018. Galaxy Australia - Introduction, Behind-the-scenes, Workflows, Histories, Building Galaxy Training; Genomics - Assembly, Annotation, MLST, Resistance Genes, Variant Calling, RNA-Seq, Sample Identification, Interactive Environments, Metagenomics; National Training - Node Workshop Planning.
- Workshops: Co-ordinator and Co-presenter: National Hybrid Training. Multiple simulatenous locations around Australia, throughout 2018. Recordings are hosted at The Australian BioCommons.
Melbourne Bioinformatics Workshops 2016-2018
eResearch Australasia Conference October 2018, Melbourne Australia
- Talk: Co-author: Enabling Australian Genomics research through enhancements to the Genomics Virtual Lab. Gareth Price, Derek Benson,Simon Gladman, Igor Makunin, Anna Syme, Helen van de Pol, Christina Hall, Nuwan Goonasekera, Andrew Isaac, Andrew Lonie, Nigel Ward, Jeff Christiansen, Gareth Price.
Melbourne Bioinformatics, Genome Assembly Workshop, October 2018
Melbourne Bioinformatics, Bionitio Workshop, July 2018
McGill Summer Institute: Infectious Diseases and Global Health, McGill University, Montreal, June, 2018
Melbourne Bioinformatics, Genome Assembly Workshop, March 2018
Genomics Workshop for Intersect, Sydney, Australia, December 2017
Genomics Workshop for Faculty of Veterinary and Agricultural Sciences, University of Melbourne, Novembver 2017
- Workshop: Co-presenter: Galaxy, Assembly, Annotation, Useful tools, Moving data, Variant calling. Simon Gladman, Anna Syme, Torsten Seemann. Link to program http://tinyurl.com/fvas-genomics-nov-2017. Introduction to GVL and Galaxy, Genome Assembly, Annotation, Genomics Tools, Moving Data, Variant Calling.
Australian Bioinformatics and Computational Biology Society (ABACBS) November 2017, Adelaide, Australia
Melbourne Bioinformatics, Genome Assembly Workshop, October 2017
Melbourne Bioinformatics, September 2017
European Congress of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Austria. 2017
- Poster: Co-author: Combined genomic and epidemiological investigation of a state-wide, multi-institution outbreak of KPC-producing Enterobacteriaceae. Kwong JC, Lane C, Stevens K, Romanes F, Easton M, Cronin K, Waters MJ, Tomita R, Gonçalves da Silva A, Schultz MB, Carter G, Baines SL, Sherry NL, Tai A, Mu A, Syme AE, Ballard SA, Seemann T, Stinear TP, Howden BP.
McGill Summer Institute: Infectious Diseases and Global Health, McGill University, Montreal, June, 2017
Presentation for eResearch South Australia, Adelaide, April 2017
- Workshop: Presenter: The Genomics Virtual Laboratory and Omics Platform. Anna Syme.
Galaxy Australasia Meeting February 2017, Melbourne, Australia
University of Western Australia Microbial Genomics Workshop, Perth, Australia, November 2016
Australian Bioinformatics and Computational Biology Society November 2016, Brisbane, Australia
RDS/BPA Omics Consortium Meeting, November 2016, Melbourne
- Project update: Presenter: RDS Omics Training Material - Antibiotic resistant pathogens. Anna Syme, Torsten Seemann, Simon Gladman,
Dieter Bulach, Dominique Gorse, Xin-Yi Chua, Michael Thang, Steve Androulakis, Jeff Christiansen, Andrew Isaac; GVL support: Madison Flannery, Simon Gladman, Jessica Chung.
LSCC, VLSCI (now Melbourne Bioinformatics) 2016
Melbourne Systematics Forum, May, 2012
Fourth International Barcode of Life Conference 2011, Adelaide, Australia
- Talk: Presenter: Investigating rbcL gene duplication in grasses. Anna Syme, Frank Udovicic. Program link here.
- Session Chair: Barcoding Grasses. Session link here.
XVIII International Botanical Congress 2011, Melbourne, Australia
- Talk: Presenter: A multi-gene study of relationships within the Australian grass genus Austrostipa. Anna Syme, Frank Udovicic
- Talk: Co-author: DNA barcodes for stipoid grasses: developing a better tool for biosecurity. Frank Udovicic, Anna Syme, Daniel Murphy, Val Stajsic.
- Talk: Co-author: Utilizing grass DNA barcodes to explore Australian ecosystems. Cross H., Murphy, D., Brown, A., Gardner, S., Syme, A. E., Jardine, D., Cantrill, D. and Lowe, A.
Society of Integrative and Comparative Biology Conference 2008, San Antonio, Texas, USA
- Talk: Presenter: How quickly are eyes lost? A phylogenetic study of deep sea and shallow water cylindroleberidid ostracods. Anna Syme, Todd Oakley.
Sixth International Crustacean Congress 2005, Glasgow, United Kingdom.